Monday

The Middle Distance Runner Decade in Review: Internet Memes

I have been recently watching all of the "Know Your Meme" webisodes by Rocketboom and it inspired me to kick off this blog's review of the decade. I know I'm way overdue with writing my top lists of everything but thankfully no one reads this otherwise I would have a lot of angry readers. Anyway here are my top 5 favorite memes of the decade. If you've never seen these before I encourage you to check out all the remixes and variations of these memes. I'm sure most people have seen these before.






10. Peanut Butter Jelly Time


The first time I saw this was in this Family Guy clip so it might have been taken out of context in this example. I was just laughing because it just seemed so random and out of nowhere. The original clip features an animated gif of a banana dancing to some Baha Men sounding track.



9. Daft Hands



Rocketboom files this kind of meme under the "One Take" kind of meme which is something impressive that was done without any kind of editing. The most famous example of this would beOK Go's video of "Here it Goes Again." I'm not sure that this would be in most peoples lists, but considering that Daft Punk is in my top 5 in terms of musical acts, what this guy did with this song is amazing to me.

8. Leeroy Jenkins



I first heard about this at a party. One of Andrea's friends was telling a ridiculous story about someone running into a room full of enemies in a game of World of Warcraft. I've never played WoW but I've played enough games to know that it sounded like a bad idea. Watching the video is hilarious.

7. Numa Numa



I wish I was this guy. This guy made this song a worldwide phenomenon. Multiple language versions, commercials, SOUTH PARK. All from his room. Like I said, I wish I was this guy.

6. Lolcats



Probably the most popular image macro is the Lolcat. I could not believe some of these pictures at first. It just didn't seem like cats did the crazy shit that they do, but now that I have two cats of my own, I cannot help but just sit back and think, "What are you doing cats?" The perfect Lolcat must be accompanied by misspelled, clever and cute cat speak. The best ones are the invisible pics.

5. David After Dentist



Wonderful child exploitation for mad lolz. I hope this poor kid isn't eternally screwed up after this. It's not his fault. He's out of his mind right now. A must watch is Chad After Dentist where Chad Vader parodies this video.

4. Rickroll

I think you've seen that video enough. Hopefully. Here's Chad After Dentist.



3. I Like Turtles




I like this because:

1) He's painted like a zombie and when he says that now famous phrase his face is telling me that he wants to share something and that he is so proud of his love for turtles, to the point where he will ignore any and all of these stupid questions. He loves turtles! You don't love turtles? What's wrong with you?!?!?

2) The fact that it's on local news. This field anchor can't do anything with that. Who's the guy who green lit this? I guess it was a live spot so what can you do in that situation.

2. Yo Dawg



One night while playing games with these fucks(I'M DONE) I heard some of them going "Yo dawg, I heard you like yo yo's so I put a yo yo in your yo yo so you can yo yo while you yo yo." It sounded funny, but I had no idea what they were talking about. You might need some serious context for this one and you can find it here(SERIOUSLY). If you don't trust me anymore then I will just say that this is based on Xzibit's stint on "Pimp My Ride" and how he like to put ridiculous things in peoples cars. So you put something in your something so you can do whatever that something does while you something. Get it? You've just been pimped.

1. Keyboard Cat












I can't say anything else. This is everything a meme should be.

I HATE CHARLIE BIT MY FINGER

No comments: